Jersey Jen's Money Crunch

. . . drowning in debt

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

September cash flow

Since I started the Money Crunch blog, I learned that one important thing is to manage the cash flow. So tonight I spent some time and tracked down my incoming cash and expenses for September. I hope this would give me a more revealing picture of my finances. I welcome your suggestions and comments as well!

Incoming (all figures are after-tax):
$4,200 signing bonus
$5,769 salary and misc
Total: $9,969

Outgoing:
$645 Automobile - car payment, gas, tolls, parking
$2,492 Bills - housing, utilities, cell phone
$560 Cash withdrawl - probably goes to dining out
$171 Clothing
$150 Dining out
$262 Groceries
$141 Household - things to make the place clean and tidy
$402 Leisure
$201 Vacation - plane tickets, hotel to a wedding in Austin, Texas
$900 Misc - blackhole
Total: $5,924

The numbers are not typical, since it includes:
* one-time signing bonus (after scary 40% combined federal and NYS tax rates)
* one-time security deposit (as Flexo at Consumerism Commentaries mentioned about typical rent in Jersey)
* one-time moving charges

I expect income to stabilize around $4,500. Since I get paid bi-weekly, some months have 2, some have 3 paychecks. I expect expense to drop to about $3,500, well, assuming I'll eat out and play less.

My goal is to save $1,000 to $1,600 a month!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home